Laurence Sperling, MD, on the 2018 Cholesterol Guidelines
In this podcast, Laurence Sperling, MD, from Emory University School of Medicine, explains the newest ACC/AHA cholesterol guidelines, the top 10 take-home messages for cardiologists, and the lessons learned from the guidelines.
Laurence Sperling, MD, is the Katz Professor in Preventive Cardiology, a professor of global health, and director for the center of heart disease prevention at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. He is also a member of the writing committee for the 2018 cholesterol guidelines.
- Grundy SM, Stone NJ, Bailey AL, et al. 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;73(24):e285-e350. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.003.
- Grundy SM, Stone NJ; Guideline Writing Committee for the 2018 Cholesterol Guidelines. 2018 cholesterol clinical practice guidelines: synopsis of the 2018 American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology/Multisociety Cholesterol Guideline. Ann Intern Med. 2019;170(11):779-783. doi:10.7326/M19-0365.
- Guideline Hub. American College of Cardiology. Published: November 10, 2018. https://www.acc.org/guidelines/hubs/blood-cholesterol. Accessed July 19, 2019.
- Lloyd-Jones DM, Braun LT, Ndumele CE, Smith Jr. SC, Sperling LS, Virani SS, Blumenthal RS. Use of risk assessment tools to guide decision-making in the primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: a special report from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology [published online November 2018]. J Am Coll Cardiol. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.005.
- Moore TJ. The cholesterol myth. Atlantic. 1989;264(3):37(25). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9af3/10d4be45f03be7627b9b45724056170ae0e8.pdf.