Ovarian Cancer Screening
Jenna Marcus, MD, from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, discusses ovarian cancer risk stratification, screening and prophylactic strategies among populations with elevated ovarian cancer risk, and current screening guidelines.
For more, visit Obstetrics & Gynecology Consultant.
- FDA approved olaparib (LYNPARZA, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP) for the maintenance treatment of adult patients with deleterious or suspected deleterious germline or somatic BRCA-mutated (gBRCAm or sBRCAm) advanced epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer who are in complete or partial response to first-line platinum-based [press release]. US Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/fda-approved-olaparib-lynparza-astrazeneca-pharmaceuticals-lp-maintenance-treatment-adult-patients December 26, 2018. Accessed August 26, 2019.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN guidelines for patients: ovarian cancer. https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/ovarian/. 2019. Accessed August 26, 2019.
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology. Choosing Wisely: 5 things physicians and patients should question. http://www.choosingwisely.org/societies/society-of-gynecologic-oncology/. October 31, 2013. Accessed August 26, 2019.
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Risk assessment, genetic counseling, and genetic testing for BRCA-related cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA. 2019;322(7):652-665. doi:10.1001/jama.2019.10987.
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for ovarian cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA. 2018;319(6):588-594. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.21926.
Jenna Marcus, MD, is a gynecologic oncologist at the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, and assistant professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women's Health in the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ.