Karin Nielsen-Saines, MD, PhD, on the Lessons Learned From the Zika Outbreak
In this podcast, Karin Nielsen-Saines, MD, PhD, talks about what we have learned from the Zika outbreak in Rio de Janeiro in 2015 and what research is being done to protect against the virus in endemic areas, a topic she also spoke about at IDWeek 2019.
Karin Nielsen-Saines, MD, PhD, is a professor of clinical pediatrics in the Division of Infectious Diseases at UCLA Children's Hospital, an attending physician for pediatric infectious diseases at Mattel Children's Hospital, and co-director of the Care4Families HIV clinic at UCLA in Los Angeles, California.
- Adachi K, Romero T, Nielsen-Saines K, et al. Early clinical infancy outcomes for microcephaly and/or SGA zika-exposed infants [published online July 26 2019]. Clin Infect Dis. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz704.
- Braga J U, Bressan C, Dalvi APR, et al. Accuracy of zika virus disease case definition during simultaneous dengue and chikungunya epidemics. PLoS One. 2017;12(6):e0179725. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179725.
- Brasil P, Pereira JP Jr, Moreira ME, et al. Zika virus infection in pregnant women in Rio de Janeiro. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(24):2321-2334. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1602412.
- Einspieler C, Utsch F, Brasil P, et al; GM Zika Working Group. Association of infants exposed to prenatal zika virus infection with their clinical, neurologic, and developmental status evaluated via the General Movement Assessment Tool. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(1):e187235. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.7235.
- Foo SS, Chen W, ChanY, et al. Asian zika virus strains target CD14+ blood monocytes and induce M2-skewed immunosuppression during pregnancy. Nat Microbiol. 2017;2(11):1558-1570. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41564-017-0016-3.
- Foo SS, ChenW, Chan Y, et al. Biomarkers and immunoprofiles associated with fetal abnormalities of ZIKV-positive pregnancies. JCI Insight. 2018;3(21).pii:124152. https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/124152.
- Fuller T, Calvet G, Estevam CG, et al. Behavioral, climatic, and environmental risk factors for zika and chikungunya virus infections in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2015-16. PLoS One. 2017;12(11):e0188002. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188002.
- Halai UA, Nielsen-Saines K, MoreiraME, et al. Maternal zika virus disease severity, virus load, prior dengue antibodies and birth outcomes. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;65(6):877-883. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cix472.
- Lopes Moreira ME, Nielsen-Saines K, Brasil P, et al. Neurodevelopment in infants exposed to ZIKV in utero. N Engl J Med. 2018;379(24):2377-2379. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1800098.
- Nielsen-Saines K, Brasil P, Kerin T, et al. Delayed childhood neurodevelopment and neurosensory alterations in the second year of life in a prospective cohort of ZIKV-exposed children. Nat Med. 2019;25(8):1213-1217. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-019-0496-1.
- Orofino DHG, Passos SRL, de Oliveira RVC, et al. Cardiac findings in infants with in utero exposure to Zika virus- a cross sectional study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018;12(3):e0006362. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0006362.
- Pereira JP Jr, Nielsen-Saines K, Sperling J, et al. Association of prenatal ultrasonographic findings with adverse neonatal outcomes among pregnant women with zika virus infection in Brazil. JAMA Netw Open. 2018;1(8):e186529. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6529.
- Pool KL, Adachi K, Karnezis S, et al. Association between neonatal neuroimaging and clinical outcomes in zika-exposed infants from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(7):e198124. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.8124.
- Zin AA, Tsui I, Rossetto J, et al. Screening criteria for ophthalmic manifestations of congenital zika virus infection. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171(9):847-854. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.1474.