Jordana Cohen, MD, MSCE, on BP Measurements and White Coat Hypertension
In this podcast, Jordana Cohen, MD, MSCE, discusses the strengths and weaknesses of current blood pressure (BP) measurements, how current BP measurements can be improved, and BP measurement for patients with white coat hypertension.
Jordana Cohen, MD, MSCE, is an assistant professor of medicine and epidemiology in the Renal-Electrolyte and Hypertension Division of the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. She is also a practicing epidemiologist and nephrologist at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Cohen JB, Lotito MJ, Trivedi UK, Denker MG, Cohen DL, Townsend RR. Cardiovascular events and mortality in white coat hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis [published online June 18, 2019]. Ann Intern Med. doi:10.7326/M19-0223.
- Rakotz MK, Townsend RR, Yang J, et al. Medical students and measuring blood pressure: Results from the American Medical Association Blood Pressure Check Challenge [published online April 28, 2017]. J Clin Hypertens. https://doi.org/10.1111/jch.13018.
- Self-measured blood pressure monitoring. Million Hearts. https://millionhearts.hhs.gov/tools-protocols/smbp.html. Accessed June 19, 2019.
- SMBP infographic. Target:BP. https://targetbp.org/tools_downloads/how-to-accurately-measure-blood-pressure-2/. Updated September 28, 2018. Accessed June 19, 2019.
- The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7). National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/seventh-report-of-joint-national-committee-on-prevention-detection-evaluation-and-treatment-high-blood-pressure. Published December 2003. Accessed June 19, 2019.
- Tools & downloads. Target:BP. https://targetbp.org/tools-downloads/. Updated 2018-2019. Accessed June 19, 2019.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. Hypertension. 2018;71:e13-e115. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYP.0000000000000065.