Rakesh Gopinathannair, MD, on Left Ventricular Assist Devices
Rakesh Gopinathannair, MD, MA, talks about left ventricular assist devices, as well as how to identify and manage the challenges associated with arrhythmias.
- Gopinathannair R, Cornwell WK, Dukes JW, et al. Device therapy and arrhythmia management in left ventricular assist device recipients: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association [published online May 14, 2019]. Circulation. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000673.
- Clerkin KJ, Topkara VK, Demmer RT, et al. Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in patients with a continuous-flow left ventricular assist device: an analysis of the INTERMACS registry. JACC Heart Fail. 2017;5(12):916-926. doi:10.1016/j.jchf.2017.08.014.
- Gopinathannair R, Roukoz H, Trivedi JR, et al. Impact of QRS duration and ventricular pacing on clinical and arrhythmic outcomes in continuous flow left ventricular assist device recipients: a multicenter study [published online February 21, 2019]. J Card Fail. doi:10.1016/j.cardfail.2019.02.013.
- Gopinathannair R, Roukoz H, Bhan A, et al. Cardiac resynchronization therapy and clinical outcomes in continuous flow left ventricular assist device recipients [published online June 19, 2018]. J Am Heart Assoc. doi:10.1161/JAHA.118.009091.
- Richardson TD, Hale L, Arteaga C, et al. Prospective randomized evaluation of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator programming in patients with a left ventricular assist device [published online February 23, 2018]. J Am Heart Assoc. doi:10.1161/JAHA.117.007748.
- Hottigoudar RU, Deam AG, Birks EJ, McCants KC, Slaughter MS, Gopinathannair R. Catheter ablation of atrial flutter in patients with left ventricular assist device improves symptoms of right heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2013;19(4):165-171. doi:10.1111/chf.12034.
- Sacher F, Reichlin T, Zado ES, et al. Characteristics of ventricular tachycardia ablation in patients with continuous flow left ventricular assist devices. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2015;8(3):592-597. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.114.002394.
Rakesh Gopinathannair, MD, MA, FAHA, FACC, FHRS, is the director of the Cardiac EP Lab at the Kansas City Heart Rhythm Institute; professor of medicine at the University of Missouri-Columbia; associate professor of medicine (adjunct) at the University of Louisville; and chair of the Communications Committee at the Heart Rhythm Society. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.