William E. Boden, MD, on a New Risk Score for Mortality and Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Stable Coronary Artery Disease: The COURAGE Risk Prediction Tool
Using data from the COURAGE Trial, researchers recently developed a risk prediction tool for assessing the probability of mortality or myocardial infarction among patients with stable coronary artery disease. According to William Boden, MD, the COURAGE Risk Prediction Tool is one of the most important developments to come from the COURAGE Trial. In this video, Dr Boden explains how the tool works and what its impact can be on treatment optimization.
William E. Boden, MD, is a professor of medicine at Boston University School of Medicine and a lecturer of medicine at Harvard Medical School. He is also the scientific director of the Clinical Trials Network at VA Boston Healthcare System.
- Boden WE, Hartigan PM, Mancini GBJ, et al; COURAGE Trial investigators. Risk prediction tool for assessing the probability of death or myocardial infarction in patients with stable coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. Published June 7, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2020.05.046
- Boden WE, O'Rourke RA, Teo KK, et al; COURAGE Trial research group. Optimal medical therapy with or without PCI for stable coronary disease. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:1503-1516. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa070829
- Antman EM, Cohen M, Bernink PJ, et al. The TIMI risk score for unstable angina/non-ST elevation MI: a method for prognostication and therapeutic decision making. JAMA. 2000;284(7):835-842. doi:10.1001/jama.284.7.835
- Fox KA, Dabbous OH, Goldberg RJ, et al. Prediction of risk of death and myocardial infarction in the six months after presentation with acute coronary syndrome: prospective multinational observational study (GRACE). BMJ. 2006;333(7578):1091. doi:10.1136/bmj.38985.646481.55
- Bhatt DL, Steg PG, Miller M, et al. Cardiovascular risk reduction with icosapent ethyl for hypertriglyceridemia. N Engl J Med. 2019;380:11-22. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1812792