PhotoclinicA 14-year-old girl presented with concerns about a "deformed" right shoulder.
PhotoclinicFollowing a complicated vaginal delivery 4 months earlier, a 22-year-old mother of a healthy 9.5-lb infant girl experienced stool incontinence and leakage.
PhotoclinicFor 3 days, a 10-year-old girl had redness and vesicles on her right volar wrist.
PhotoclinicErythema dyschromicum perstans consists of ash-colored or brown macules and papules that measure a few millimeters to several centimeters.
Primary Care UpdateThe health benefits of smoking cessation are impressive—even in those who have smoked for many years.
- A 4-year-old boy is admitted with a 2-week history of high fever with rigors; profuse night sweats; progressive upper quadrant pain; and diarrhea.
- More than 60% of male adolescents will experience gynecomastia—a physiologic increase in stromal and glandular breast tissue.
Photo QuizExtensive ecchymoses following a fall, palmar hyperpigmentation, unusual pigmentation pattern on thigh
- A 17-year-old girl presents, on crutches, with left knee pain from an injury she sustained during a flag football game the previous night.
Case in PointSchistosomiasis is a major parasitic infection of humans worldwide, with the exception of the United States.
Photo EssayBecker nevus, solitary and multiple café au lait macules, Fanconi anemia, urticaria pigmentosa, McCune-Albright syndrome, segmental café au lait macule, pigmentary mosaicism, Proteus syndrome
- Is there a role for aldosterone antagonists in resistant hypertension?
What’s Your Diagnosis?An 85-year-old woman who resides on the dementia unit of a nursing home is seen for routine care.
Photo EssayHave you seen these particular manifestations of sarcoidosis, rheumatoid arthritis, colon and other cancers, diabetic vasculopathy, hyperlipidemia, and zinc deficiency?
What’s The Take Home?A 68-year-old man with a prosthetic mitral valve presents to the emergency department with acute abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and constipation.
Case in PointA 14-year-old African American boy presented during the winter months with a painless, nonpruritic, periumbilical rash that had been present for approximately 1 month.
- Long believed to be a relatively obscure disease, interstitial cystitis (IC) is more prevalent than previously thought.
What’s The Take Home?A palpable nodule on the right lobe of the thyroid gland is detected in a 55-year-old woman.
headacheA 24-year-old woman complains of a severe, throbbing headache that is present when she is upright and is relieved when she lies down.
ECG ChallengeWhich clues on the ECG point to the cause?
- In patients with underlying disease, a preoperative evaluation and targeted management strategies can minimize complications and maximize healing.
- For patients with cardiovascular risk factors, the most serious complication of noncardiac surgery is a perioperative cardiac event.
DermclinicAn acneiform rash, pruritic papules on the extremities, pustular scalp lesions—can you identify the disorders pictured here?
Top Papers Of The MonthThe National Quality Forum has suggested that ß -blocker therapy would decrease coronary events in an at-risk population.
Consultations & CommentsIt is important to keep in mind that the risk factors or triggers for migraine are cumulative.
Consultations & CommentsWoman receives a spider bite, but what spider was it?
- When is cranial CT required? How can you predict whether postconcussive syndrome will develop? Insights here.
- These authors describe effective—but often overlooked or underused—treatment strategies that help control pain and improve function.